In a recent survey conducted by Hasbro, 68 percent of Americans admit they’ve never read the official Monopoly rules in their entirety, and 49 percent said they have made up their own Monopoly rules! Knowing this, Hasbro is giving Monopoly fans around the world an opportunity to “break the rules” by inviting them to help select the top “house rules” to become a part of future Monopoly games.
Through April 3, the Monopoly Facebook page will host the Great Monopoly House Rules Debate, with Mr. Monopoly himself as moderator. Fans are encouraged to debate the pros and cons of 10 house rules that were selected as a result of crowd-sourcing fans globally on the Facebook page.
As a result of the debate, Hasbro will identify the top house rules, and incorporate them into the Monopoly: House Rules Edition game available this fall. In addition, the chosen rules will be included in the classic Monopoly game guide next year.
The house rules included in the Great Monopoly House Rules Debate are:
- Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, and if a player land on Free Parking, collect all the money from the middle of the board.
- Dash for the Cash: If a player lands on Go!, they get 400M dollars instead of 200M dollars.
- Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players.
- Lucky Roller: If a player rolls Snake Eyes (double one’s), they collect 500M Dollars.
- 3’s a Crowd: Are there three players in a row on three unique properties? Each player gets an extra 500M Dollars.
- Cash Advance: Players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money is determined amongst the new property owners.
- Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of three, every player grabs what they can.
- Mum’s the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free.
- See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties.
- Property Boom: Players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.