Today, Hasbro Inc. celebrates Play-Doh with the first-ever World Play-Doh Day. Recognized as National Play-Doh Day in the U.S. since 2006, fans are encouraged to share their Play-Doh masterpieces and visit the Play-Doh Facebook page to see a virtual parade of fan-made sculpts.
To encourage fans worldwide, Play-Doh has released fun facts about the brand:
1. Four colors started it all: red, blue, yellow, and white. Now Play-Doh is available in more than 50 colors.
2. Play-Doh compound has three core ingredients: water, salt, and flour.
3. Since 1956, more than two billion Play-Doh cans have been sold. That’s enough compound to reach to the moon and back three times.
4. A great year: 1956 was the year the Play-Doh brand was born.
5. Play-Doh compound in dinos: The estimated weight of all Play-Doh compound sold is heavier than 10,000 brontosauruses.
6. It would take more than 631 million Play-Doh cans to circle around the globe.
7. You can fit 172 pennies in one Play-Doh can.
8. Play-Doh compound was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.
9. Play-Doh compound and play sets are sold in more than 80 countries.
10. Play-Doh cans are made with a tapered edge to easily stack and store empty cans for re-use.
More information on Play-Doh, as well as the a virtual parade, can be found at the Play-Doh Facebook page.