Tech toys that make you feel cooler than Marty McFly were in abundance at the North American International Toy Fair this week, such as robots that imitate your movements and a Segway-like device that tracks your thoughts. But not all of the toys at the Jacob K. Javits Center were reminiscent of what Captain Kirk probably played with as a child. There were also some stellar construction sets, high-quality hand puppets, and wooden toys that make you say, “wow.” Classic play is not dead, and not all quality toys require a microchip. Some of the most innovative new products for kids feature little to no tech at all. Here are our favorite low-tech new toys from Toy Fair: [Read more...]
Toys “R” Us stores nationwide will remain open for 87 consecutive hours for last-minute shoppers. Beginning at 6 a.m. on December 21 and continuing through 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve, gift-givers can shop day and night for toys, including those that can only be found at Toys “R” Us.
Bargain hunters can also take advantage of savings and deals, as well as the company’s Price Match Guarantee, every day leading up to Christmas. Select discounts available at Toys “R” Us from December 20 through December 21 include buy one, get one free deals on all Chuggington Engines and Totally Me! by Victoria Justice crafts; buy one, get one 50 percent off all FAO Schwarz toys; and more.
Meanwhile, beginning December 22 through December 24, select discounts include buy one, get one free deals on all K’NEX building sets; buy one, get one 40 percent off all Disney Pixar Cars and Disney Planes die cast vehicles, and play sets; discounts on Disney Infinity Starter Packs; and more.
Tomy, the maker of the Chuggington StackTrack Railway System, set a Guinness World Records title for Tallest Toy Train Track on Saturday. The record-setting train track, constructed with Chuggington StackTrack—a durable die-cast railway system that enables kids to build vertical toy train layouts—towered 17 feet 4 inches tall. In order to set the Guinness World Records title for World’s Tallest Toy Train Track, Tomy Master Builder Jason Moreno and his helpers needed to construct a layout utilizing the Chuggington StackTrack die-cast railway track that met or exceeded 9 feet 8 inches in height, and a commercially available Chuggington StackTrack die-cast railway train had to travel from the top of the track all the way down to the bottom. Hundreds of kids and their families watched in anticipation and were delighted as the engine completed its journey down the spiraling StackTrack tower.
Moreno constructed the larger-than-life toy train layout as part of the Grand Centennial Parade of Trains in Vanderbilt Hall in New York City’s Grand Central Terminal. The building began at 8:00 a.m. and was completed at 1:00 p.m., in time for the Guinness World Records adjudicator to authenticate the record-setting event and present the certificate to a delighted Tomy crew.
Amtrak, Anchor Bay Entertainment, and Ludorum have partnered for a cross-promotion of the animated kids series Chuggington. This cross-promotion is timed to celebrate the upcoming Chuggington Icy Escapades DVD release from Anchor Bay Entertainment. The Amtrak website and more than 100 Amtrak train stations nationwide will showcase the property during the month of November. [Read more...]
Tomy has launched its Chuggington Die-Cast Railway, featuring a revolutionary track system that lets toy train enthusiasts stack their track “as high as the sky.” Budding engineers can build spiraling track layouts with this innovative track system engineered for stability and durability. Every action-packed playset in the Chuggington Die-Cast Railway can be built multiple ways, encouraging young imaginations to create, construct, and play.
Based on Ludorum’s popular animated series and inspired by Chuggington’s modern characters and fast-paced adventures, Tomy’s Chuggington Die-Cast Railway allows fans to spend countless imaginative hours with a whole new play experience. Easy to connect and simple enough for preschoolers to build on their own, the new track system is a durable and sturdy solution for adding elevation to train sets and creating amazing action. Chuggington Die-Cast Railway is available at all major retailers.
Featured sets available at launch include:
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Wilson’s Wild Ride Playset The new track design featured in this playset allows little conductors to build a spiral more than 2 feet tall. Pull the lever when Wilson enters the storm machine to activate storm sounds and to launch Wilson. Wilson shoots down the 360-degree spiral, past the spinning sign, past the popping cones, and onto the turntable, where he whips around 720 degrees. Set can create four different track layouts and is designed for children ages 3 and up.
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Portable Double Decker Roundhouse Playset This iconic Chuggington locale is a must-have. The Roundhouse does double duty as a portable engine storage case. When little conductors are ready to play, just connect the turntable and snap in the track. This destination also features an innovative elevating turntable that raises and spins. Includes a Die-Cast Brewster engine and was designed for children ages 3 and up.
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Stunt Brewster Playset Inspired by the episode Stunt Brewster, this action packed starter set features Brewster. Brewster flies down the hill, crashes through the lights, soars over the jump, and rides through the tunnel. The track can also be transformed into a traditional oval layout.
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Koko’s Old Town Tour Playset Enter through the arch to tour Old Town. Go up the hill and over the turntable. Also includes the steam whistle gate and Old Town Koko. Set can create three different layouts.
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Koko’s Icy Escapade Playset Inspired by the episode Wilson’s Icy Escapade, this action playset features icy Koko and the Ice Cave. Koko has to be careful going across the rickety bridge with the ice cargo. Pick up the ice in the cargo car, crash through the ice gates, and deliver the cargo to the top. Set can create three different layouts.
- Chuggington Die-Cast Railway Brewster’s Big City Adventure Playset Help Brewster pick up his delivery. Oh no! Brewster is stuck! Don’t worry, Action Chugger will rescue him. Action Chugger flies down from the sky, jumps onto the track, and speeds down the collapsing bridge to rescue Brewster. Includes scrap metal Brewster with cargo car and lights and sounds Action Chugger. Set can create seven different layouts.
This post was originally written by Sierra McCleary-Harris and published by ToyBook.com. For more news, visit www.toybook.com, follow The Toy Book on Twitter, and like The Toy Book on Facebook. The Toy Book is a bimonthly trade magazine covering the toy industry, published by Adventure Publishing Group.
Anchor Bay Entertainment has released a new DVD for it’s child-friendly Chuggington TV series. Titled Wilson and The Ice Cream Fair, the new episode follows Wilson as he makes his way through the busiest day of the year. Between a special delivery, creating a new ice cream flavor, and preventing a massive ice cream meltdown, Wilson has a lot to do. Will he get it done?
Wilson and The Ice Cream Fair teaches important lessons about responsibility, cooperation, paying attention, overcoming fear, and more.
This post was originally written by Leah Rocketto and published by ToyBook.com. For more news, visit www.toybook.com, follow The Toy Book on Twitter, and like The Toy Book on Facebook. The Toy Book is a bimonthly trade magazine covering the toy industry, published by Adventure Publishing Group.
Rubie’s Costume Co., Inc. has obtained the license to create products for preschool property Chuggington. The CGI-animated series debuted in the U.S. in January and airs daily on Disney Channel’s Playhouse Disney programming block. Each episode has an entertaining storyline that also teaches social readiness lessons.
The DVD, Let’s Ride the Rails, will introduce preschoolers to the world of Chuggington with six exploration episodes. Lessons taught in the episodes (such as “Clunky Wilson” and “Old Puffer Pete’s Tour”) will include humility, trust, respect, and teamwork. The DVD will also include special bonuses such as Chuggington-themed coloring pages and activity sheets.
More DVDs will release throughout 2011, including Chuggers to the Rescue, It’s Training Time, and Wheels To The Rails. Episodes of the series also debuted on iTunes last month.