Disney will expand on the animated feature Disney Frozen with Frozen Northern Lights, an original story from the kingdom of Arendelle, spanning a collection of books, animated shorts from The Lego Group, and new digital extensions. Beginning in July, Frozen fans will follow Anna, Elsa, Olaf, Kristoff, and Sven on an adventure to restore the glimmer of the Northern Lights. [Read more...]
Disney Consumer Products (DCP) has launched a product line inspired by Disney∙Pixar’s original comedy Inside Out. In addition to Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) and Disney Store, licensees including, Tomy, Freeze, Mighty Fine, KidDesigns, Ugg Australia, Jay Franco, Random House, and Chronicle Books have all signed on to develop a wide product assortment that includes figures, plush, playlets, apparel and accessories, home décor, novelties, tech, books, and more. [Read more...]
This spring, Random House Books for Young Readers is rolling out a new cover look for the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park. All 28 books, as well as the interactive journal, will feature the new branded look, which includes colorful polka dots and a new title font. The iconic illustrations by Denise Brunkus will remain the same.
The re-branded series launch will be supported by a major marketing and publicity campaign. It will include the Laugh Yourself Silly with Junie B. School Campaign (formerly the Junie B. Jones Stupid Smelly Bus Tour), which will bring Junie B. and her bus driver, Mr. Woo, live and person to schools in May.
To commemorate the release of Walt Disney Animation Studios‘ film Frozen, Disney Consumer Products (DCP) will release a diverse new product collection of role-play items, plush stuffed animals, dolls, and more. These products are available now from Mattel, Just Play, and other licensees at mass retailers nationwide, as well as at Disney Store and DisneyStore.com.
Disney’s Frozen chronicles the epic quest of fearless Anna to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Highlights from Disney’s Frozen product line include:
- Disney Frozen Musical Magic Elsa and Anna Dolls, from Mattel: When kids hold their hands—or when they hold each other’s hands—the dolls magically light up and play enchanting music.
- Disney Frozen Pull Apart and Talkin’ Olaf, from Just Play: Olaf’s nose, head, and torso all temporarily separate and then safely rejoin, recreating memorable moments from the film. Plush Olaf also says funny phrases from the movie.
- Frozen Rolling Travel Trunk, from Jakks Pacific: Kids can dress up like Anna and Elsa with two beautiful dresses and tons of accessories, then pack everything up and roll the trunk to their next destination.
- Frozen Storybook Deluxe, from Disney Publishing: In Disney Publishing’s digital Storybook Deluxe app, Elsa and Anna retell the animated feature Frozen from two points of view.
- Frozen: A Sister More Like Me by Disney Publishing: A jacketed picture book featuring an original story about Anna and Elsa, as well as illustrations by one of the artists who worked on the film.
- Frozen Big Golden Book by Random House: An illustrated hardcover Big Golden Book based on the film, suitable for kids ages 3 to 7.
LeapFrog Enterprises and Listening Library, an imprint of Random House LLC, have partnered to bring Listening Library’s library of children’s audio books to the LeapReader platform. Listening Library’s audio books are available for download via LeapFrog’s App Center.
LeapReader is the new learn to read and write system that helps children build literacy skills and reading confidence with LeapReader’s three essential experiences–learn to read, learn to write, and learn through listening. Children sound out words and read sentences, write letters with interactive guidance, and develop listening skills, comprehension, and imagination through audio books, music, and more all available in the LeapReader library of more than 150 learning experiences.
My fondest childhood memories always involve some sort of book. Roald Dahl, Dr. Seuss, and the Baby-Sitters Club series played a huge role in my adolescence, and I still feel the pang of sweet nostalgia when I see these titles today. Part of my job is to round up toys, mobile apps, games, music, and books to feature in Toy Insider, but in recent months I find myself frantically searching for books to include while games, toys, and especially apps appear in abundance. I am a bit resistant to change, as I still prefer to hold a book in my hand to a Kindle or Nook, so the decline of printed books had me bogged down a bit. As I began searching for books to feature, I realized that reading is reading, and anything that brings a child to find his or her inner bibliophile is A-OK with me. There are so many new platforms for reading that don’t leave out books but take them to a new level, and we have to keep up!
I am fascinated by the LeapReader Read & Write System by LeapFrog. This company is known for its kid-friendly tablets, but this new product has the coolest gadgets and gizmos that should make any child excited about story time. Starting with the very basics, the LeapReader Read & Write books will help your child learn to read and write by sounding out words and guiding letter strokes interactively. The set includes the LeapReader Reading and Writing System, an activity sampler book, one learning paper writing sheet, and free downloads of one audio book bundle, one music album, and one trivia fun pack. I think the coolest part is that interactive handwriting guidance helps children learn to write stroke-by-stroke on mess-free, no ink LeapFrog learning paper—which is also ecofriendly! There are more than 150 books and audiobooks available to add to the set, of which my personal favorite is Learn to Write Letters with Mr. Pencil. [Read more...]
LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. has unveiled their latest product, LeapReader: the complete learn to read and write solution for kids. LeapReader, from the creator of the Tag Reading System, is the next generation of learning that helps children build literacy skills and reading confidence. With LeapReader’s three essential experiences–learn to read, learn to write, and learn through listening–kids can sound out words, read sentences, write letters with interactive guidance, and develop comprehension skills through audio books and music, all available in the LeapReader library of more than 150 learning experiences.
The LeapReader Library
- Learn to Read: Kids learn to read by sounding out words, reading sentences, and building comprehension through LeapReader books, maps, and flash cards. The LeapReader books help kids with feedback by not only recognizing letters, but also helping them through the irregularities of letter sounds. Some Learn to Read titles also include pages with 3-D elements.
- Learn to Write: Interactive LeapReader workbooks feature audio coaching and support to help kids learn the sequence of strokes and build writing fluency. These new workbooks feature revolutionary LeapFrog Learning Paper, which contains ink embedded within the page for a mess-free writing solution. These workbooks provide feedback on stroke order, and teach letters by similar curves or lines instead of in alphabetical order.
- Learn through listening: LeapReader audio books, learning songs, and trivia challenges foster children’s comprehension skills, vocabulary, and imagination. By making the learning process interactive, it makes reading and writing more engaging and motivates kids to not only learn to read, but also to want to read.
LeapFrog worked closely with world-class publishing partners, including Random House, Scholastic Inc., and Kidz Bop, to select the audio content for the LeapReader library. The library will feature children’s characters and audio books such as The Magic Tree House and Little Golden Books from Listening Library, a division of Random House Inc.; Clifford and The Velveteen Rabbit from Scholastic Inc.; and today’s hits from the audio series Kidz Bop.
LeapReader is available in pink and green for kids ages 4 to 8. The LeapReader will be available for pre-order on June 12, and it will be available at major retail locations and at LeapFrog.com in early July. All audio books and music albums will be available for download using LeapFrog Connect Application for LeapReader. LeapReader holds audio for up to 40 books or 175 songs at a time, works with most Tag books, and has a USB-rechargeable battery that lasts up to five hours.
Nickelodeon Consumer Products (NCP) has announced a full slate of consumer products for Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies’ live-action, July 2 theatrical release, The Last Airbender, directed by M. Night Shyamalan. The line-up of products inspired by the film will be available this summer through the holiday season.
Consumers can expect to see almost 30 new products in a number of categories including publishing, home décor, apparel, jewelry, and accessories.
Some of the licensees on board for the franchise include action figures, play sets, role play items, vehicles, and more from Spin Master; video games from THQ; construction-themed sets and products from Mega; DVDs from Paramount Home Entertainment; party goods from American Greetings; customizable goods from HP; prequel manga, movie manga, and cinemanga from Del Rey Manga; junior novelization, movie storybook, ready to reads, and lost scrolls collection from Simon and Schuster; an activity digest, a full-color scrapbook, and an activity book from Random House; and Mad Libs from Penguin/Grosset Dunlap.
The shelves will turn a bit more ugly this year as Pretty Ugly expands its plush characters plus partners with Schylling and Abrams for additional products.
Pointy Max, who has a weakness for cheese and a phobia of blank paper, joins the Ugly Doll family along with Picksey, Mynus, Ninja Batty Shogun, Ket, Wippy, Nandy Bear, and Cozymonster.