Zootopia debuted this weekend with $75 million, marking the biggest three-day debut of all time for Walt Disney Animation Studios. Internationally, the film opened in mid-February, earning nearly $100 million over its first three weeks and posting an additional $64.7 million this weekend for a combined global total of $235.2 million. [Read more...]
The company will adapt its existing titles to feature Disney properties, enhancing ways that children can interact with favorite Disney characters.
The line will feature educational content from existing games Spot it! and Tell Tale. It will highlight popular Disney characters and movies such as Frozen, Disney Planes, and Disney television shows Sofia the First and Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
As reported by Los Angeles-based entertainment company Hero Ventures, Jerry Rees will lead the creative team responsible for producing The Marvel Experience, an innovative, traveling attraction that affords guests the opportunity to actively participate with dozens of Marvel super heroes.
Rees is a director, producer, and writer of live-action, animation, and theme park attractions. He has directed 16 Disney Theme Park attractions around the world in California, Hong Kong, Florida, and Paris. [Read more...]
To commemorate the release of Walt Disney Animation Studios‘ film Frozen, Disney Consumer Products (DCP) will release a diverse new product collection of role-play items, plush stuffed animals, dolls, and more. These products are available now from Mattel, Just Play, and other licensees at mass retailers nationwide, as well as at Disney Store and DisneyStore.com.
Disney’s Frozen chronicles the epic quest of fearless Anna to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Highlights from Disney’s Frozen product line include:
- Disney Frozen Musical Magic Elsa and Anna Dolls, from Mattel: When kids hold their hands—or when they hold each other’s hands—the dolls magically light up and play enchanting music.
- Disney Frozen Pull Apart and Talkin’ Olaf, from Just Play: Olaf’s nose, head, and torso all temporarily separate and then safely rejoin, recreating memorable moments from the film. Plush Olaf also says funny phrases from the movie.
- Frozen Rolling Travel Trunk, from Jakks Pacific: Kids can dress up like Anna and Elsa with two beautiful dresses and tons of accessories, then pack everything up and roll the trunk to their next destination.
- Frozen Storybook Deluxe, from Disney Publishing: In Disney Publishing’s digital Storybook Deluxe app, Elsa and Anna retell the animated feature Frozen from two points of view.
- Frozen: A Sister More Like Me by Disney Publishing: A jacketed picture book featuring an original story about Anna and Elsa, as well as illustrations by one of the artists who worked on the film.
- Frozen Big Golden Book by Random House: An illustrated hardcover Big Golden Book based on the film, suitable for kids ages 3 to 7.
Coinciding with the release of Disney’s Planes in theaters, My Baby Excels and Thinkway Toys have launched an interactive range of high-quality toys and plush of the movie characters including Dusty, Ripslinger, and El Chupacabra. All toys are suitable for kids ages 4 and up.
U-Command Super Charged Dusty: This deluxe infrared remote-controlled Dusty has interactive features including Dusty’s original film voice and phrases, sound effects, and moving eyes and mouth. Kids can control Dusty with joysticks or by pressing the wireless remote to make him talk, move, and turn in more than 1,000 action combinations.
Dusty Bubbles Plane: Thanks to the bubble attachment on his wings, bubbles come out when Dusty is launched into the air. The package includes bubble solution and dipping trays.
Rubber Band Sky Gliders: A combination slingshot sky glider and rubber band launcher. Kids can race their favorite plane among Dusty, Bravo, and Ripslinger, each made from light, soft, harmless materials.
Plush Toys: Kids can cuddle up to their favorite Planes character with 10-inch plush figures of Dusty and Skipper.
The interactive Disney’s Planes toy range is available across leading stores and e-commerce websites.
Precious Moments Inc. (PMI) has added the most revered of all Disney properties: the Walt Disney Classics Collection. This archival collection of Walt Disney’s artwork will soon appear on a diverse product selection. Scheduled to make its product debut in March, the first line will be in retail stores in September. [Read more...]
The Walt Disney Co. has announced its financial results for the fourth quarter. Disney reported net income of $895 million, or 47 cents per share, a gain of 18 percent, compared with $760 million, or 40 cents per share, in the same period in 2008. Revenue rose to almost $9.9 billion, up 4 percent from $9.4 billion in the same period last year.
The Walt Disney Company has gained approval from the Chinese government to build a theme park in Shanghai. The theme park will be Disney’s fourth outside the U.S. According to Bloomberg, the park will cost approximately $3.6 billion and occupy 1,700 acres. Disney and its partners are now allowed to move forward in construction plans.