What began in 1969 on a street where colorful Muppets and humans lived and learned side by side is now an institution that reaches kids in more than 150 countries in more than 70 languages. The longest-running children’s show in American television history continues to evolve, and throughout this year, Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, will bring people together around the timeless lessons that Sesame Street has always taught: everyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, is equally deserving of respect, opportunity, and joy.
Select Sesame Street 50th Anniversary events include:
- A 50th television season which focuses on the power of possibilities, empowering kids to take safe risks and learn from their mistakes.
- A nationwide road trip where Sesame Street characters and friends host community events in ten cities around the country.
- An expansion of the growing Sesame Street in Communities initiative, addressing issues including substance abuse and foster care to better support vulnerable children and families.
- The launch of a new local version of Sesame Street created for displaced Syrian families and their new neighbors in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria, as part of a large-scale early childhood intervention in the region.
- A signature research report that will explore an important issue facing kids and families today.
- Celebrity- and fan-fueled social media campaigns including #ThisIsMyStreet, showcasing favorite Sesame Street memories.
- New collaborations across fashion, lifestyle, and themed entertainment for Sesame Street fans of all ages.
- A November star-studded prime-time special, featuring new takes on classic segments and visits from Sesame Street icons.
More details will be revealed in the weeks ahead.