On May 18, Swimways Corp., a subsidiary of Spin Master, will launch International Learn to Swim Day — a global extension of its National Learn to Swim Day program, originally launched in 2012. The company seeks to encourage adults to make sure their kids learn to swim not just for fun — but for their safety. For the international launch, the six core PAW Patrol pups will be featured to convey the importance, benefits and fun of learning to swim to kids around the world.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children ages one to four, and the second-leading cause for children under 14.
“While swimming is an important life skill for kids to learn, it’s also a fun activity for families to enjoy together,” says Monica Jones, vice president of marketing, Swimways Corp. “Swimways is passionate about making sure kids are safer in and around the water, and believes the pool should be a special place where families and friends can connect and relax.”
Swimways is partnered with the USA Swimming Foundation, whose mission is to “save lives and build champions – in the pool and life.” Elizabeth Beisel, two-time Olympic medalist and USA Swimming Foundation Ambassador is serving as the spokesperson for Swimways’ International Learn to Swim Day.
“One of the most special, lifesaving gifts a parent can give their child is teaching them how to swim,” Beisel says . “With the summer swimming season quickly approaching, it’s vital to spread the message about the importance and benefits of learning to swim.”
Beisel recommends these activities:
Get educated with the best resources available:
- For learn to swim and water safety resources, visit www.teachmetoswim.com
- To find swim lessons in your area, parents and caregivers can visit www.usaswimmingfoundation.org to see a list of USA Swimming Foundation Make a Splash Local Partner swim lesson providers. Participation in formal swimming lessons can reduce the likelihood of childhood drowning by 88% (Archive of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 2009)
- Incorporate swim training gear, water toys, pool floats and pool games to make learning to swim a fun activity for the whole family to enjoy together
- To help kids learn to swim, Swimways has developed the Swim Steps program, which offers products for all skill levels, from water introduction to water exploration to swim training. Products range from infant and baby pool floats in Swim Step 1, to swim trainer life jackets in Swim Step 2, to graduated swim training vests in Swim Step 3. Families can learn more about Swimways and its Swim Steps products by visiting www.Swimways.com.
- Practice, practice, practice! In order to develop a love of the water and a comfort with swimming, children need to consistently practice in order to enhance their skills and boost their confidence in the water