Source: The LEGO Group

The LEGO Group revealed plans to cut its absolute carbon emissions by 37% by 2032. This goal has been approved by the Science Based Targets initiative as consistent with levels required to keep global warming to below 1.5°C. 

This goal applies to emissions from its own operations, which equals 10% of emissions, and then energy use for its stores, factories, offices, supply chains, and that from raw materials and distribution, which covers the other 90%. 

To achieve this goal, LEGO plans to invest in sustainable materials, continue to work with suppliers through the “Engage to Reduce” program, expand renewable energy use, and more. 

“We are committed to building a better planet for future generations and that means stepping up efforts to reduce carbon emissions across our entire value chain,” says Tim Brooks, vice president of environmental responsibility.

This goal continues a history of the LEGO Group’s mission towards sustainability. The brand recently began its shift from single-use plastic bags to environmentally friendly paper ones. LEGO has also set goals in the past to transition all LEGO bricks into sustainable material by 2030 and to only use renewable recycled materials in its packaging by 2025. The company committed to a $400 million investment over three years to accelerate these sustainability efforts addressing carbon emissions, global warming, and more.