The Halloween business is being stalked by ghosts.
Following some major drops due to the COVID-19 pandemic stifling seasonal festivities in 2020, sales of Halloween costumes and accessories spiked 4% this year, according to The NPD Group.
Unfortunately, even with the increase over last year, sales were still down an unlucky 13% when compared to Halloween 2019.
“While total Halloween costumes and accessories were down compared to 2019 — possibly driven by lack of inventory — we did see the teen and adult do-it-yourself categories like accessories and prosthetics nearly reach 2019 levels,” says NPD’s U.S. Toys Industry Advisor Juli Lennett.
- Original Inflatable Dinosaur Costume (Rubie’s)
- Batman Muscle Chest Costume (Rubie’s)
- Spider-Man Toddler Costume (Rubie’s)
- Bleeding Ghost Face Costume (Fun World)
- Power Rangers Dino Fury Muscle Halloween Costume (Disguise)
- Ghoul Fading Eye Reaper Costume (Fun World)
- Fortnite 8 Ball Costume (InSpirit Designs)
- Transformers Bumblebee Toddler Costume (Disguise)
- Bendy and the Ink Machine Classic Costume (Disguise)
- Power Rangers Red Ranger Muscle Costume (Disguise)
During the 10-week Halloween period ending Nov. 6, sales of costumes for teens and adults fell 2% while kids’ costumes and dress-up items spiked 7% over the same period last year.