The Spielwarenmesse‘s international TrendCommittee — which includes the Toy Book Publisher Jackie Breyer — revealed three strong toy trends for next year: Toys for Future, Digital Goes Physical, and Be You! Products from all three trend categories will be on display on Trend Islands in the TrendGallery of Hall 3A at the 71st Spielwarenmesse international toy fair, held from Jan. 29 to Feb. 2 in Nuremberg, Germany.
Toys for Future – Sustainability in Play
The current Fridays for Future movement is highlighting how climate change affects us all. The toy industry has a tendency to tackle current issues and reflects the world on a smaller scale. Products that fall within this trend category have a firm focus on climate protection and sustainability. Toys in this category promote environmentally friendly behavior, raise awareness through play, and are produced by sustainable means or by using eco-friendly materials that have been upcycled or recycled.
Digital Goes Physical – Virtual Figures ‘Get Real’
Characters from well-known video games and esports are becoming popular licensing themes. YouTube channels, apps, and messaging services offer considerable potential. In the Digital Goes Physical trend, digital characters enter the world of conventional toys. The characters’ physical counterparts become an extension of virtual reality, opening the door to new experiences through play.
Be You! – Games for all
In a colorful and diverse world, play connects everyone, transcending origin, religion, or appearance. This is the fundamental principle of this trend, which brings together two objectives: to help people with special needs and to promote tolerance, inclusion, and diversity. People with disabilities or diseases, such as dementia or Parkinson’s disease, have very different tactile requirements when it comes to toys and games. Products within this theme stimulate their minds and motor skills while creating shared experiences.
Attendees who visit the TrendGallery will be able to get hands-on time with the products that reflect the trends. Additionally, visitors can pick up a copy of the TrendGuide and attend daily talks by industry experts at the Toy Business Forum.
The 2020 Spielwarenmesse TrendComittee
- John Baulch (publisher, Toy World Magazine, UK)
- Jackie Breyer (group publisher, Adventure Media & Events: the Toy Book, the Toy Insider, the Pop Insider, U.S.)
- Daniele Caroli (journalist, Parents’ Choice, Russia)
- Dr. Maria Costa (market researcher, AIJU Toy Research Institute, Spain)
- Axel Dammler (market researcher, iconkids & youth international research GmbH, Germany)
- Steven Ekstract (journalist, License! Global, U.S.)
- Philippe Guinaudeau (market researcher, Kidz Global, France)
- Lena Hedö (journalist, Lek & Babyrevyn, Sweden)
- Gabriela Kaiser (trend consultant, TRENDagentur, Germany)
- Urszula Kaszubowska (journalist, Branza Dziecieca, Poland)
- Reyne Rice (journalist and trend expert, U.S.)
- Jane Wong (journalist, Toy Industry, China)
For more on Spielwarenmesse 2020, check out the advance preview from the latest issue of the Toy Book.