As planning for next year’s Spielwarenmesse toy fair continues, the organizers have assembled the team that will serve as the international TrendCommittee.
A dozen toy industry experts comprise the team, including our own Jackie Breyer — group publisher, the Toy Book, the Toy Insider, and the Pop Insider — who joins the TrendCommittee this year to aid in scouting emerging trends and keeping track of what might inform the industry in the year ahead. Next year’s trends will be revealed this October, and related products will be on display in the TrendGallery at Spielwarenmesse 2020, taking place Jan. 29 to Feb. 2 in Nuremberg, Germany.
“These trends are not yet visible on the market en masse, but are increasingly being embraced by manufacturers and discussed by the media,” says Christian Ulrich, marketing director at Spielwarenmesse eG.
The Spielwarenmesse TrendCommittee:
- John Baulch (Publisher, Toy World Magazine, UK)
- Jackie Breyer (Group Publisher, the Toy Book, Toy Insider, Pop Insider, U.S.)
- Daniele Caroli (Journalist, Parents’ Choice, Russia)
- Dr. Maria Costa (Market researcher, AIJU Toy Research Institute, Spain)
- Axel Dammler (Market researcher, iconkids & youth international research GmbH, Germany)
- Steven Ekstract (Journalist, License! Global, U.S.)
- Philippe Guinaudeau (Market researcher, Kidz Global, France)
- Lena Hedö (Journalist, Lek & Babyrevyn, Sweden)
- Gabriela Kaiser (Trend consultant, TRENDagentur, Germany)
- Urszula Kaszubowska (Journalist, Branza Dziecieca, Poland)
- Reyne Rice (Journalist and trend expert, U.S.)
- Jane Wong (Journalist, Toy Industry, China)
The international team will look for medium-term trends that will have an impact on the toy industry, with consideration given to universal/international appeal and the possibility for endurance and long-term impact.