Originally published 10/30/2022. Updated Dec. 24, 2022
The legend returns! While Toy Fair is moving to September, The BIG Toy Book tradition continues in February 2023.
Answering the call of retailers, manufacturers, distributors, and licensors across North America, The Toy Book‘s 39th volume kicks off in late February with more than 300 must-read pages packed with the content that readers have come to expect from the toy industry’s No. 1 trade publication.
While it might seem early, it’s not, and this is your official notice that the time to get involved with our biggest — and most important — issue of the year is now and you won’t want to miss out!
The Toy Book is now collecting editorial showcase submissions for The BIG Toy Book.
The deadline for new product submissions is Dec. 22, 2022. DEADLINE EXTENDED through Jan.4, 2023! Additionally, marketing opportunities tied to the issue are now available.
Highlights in this issue include:
- Comprehensive 2023 product coverage for all categories: The hottest new products that retailers will want to stock.
- State of the Toy Industry: Q&A with industry leaders, retailers, and manufacturers about toy trends and hot topics in the toy industry; 2023 forecast; insight from The NPD Group; and full-year 2022 statistics.
- The Toy Book’s regular departments plus exclusive features covering all aspects of the industry, including retail, the state of freight, hot trends, packaging, invention, marketing and public relations, and much, more.
The BIG Toy Book will be mailed to subscribers and be available digitally beginning February 28. Additional copies will be displayed and available at ToyFest, taking place Feb. 27 to March 3 in Las Vegas, and at The Play Date, the all-new event presented by The Toy Book, The Toy Insider, and The Toy Association in New York City on March 8.
Submission Guidelines & Instructions:
There is no fee to submit for editorial consideration.
If you have products that you want retailers and the rest of the industry to see, we’d love to share them.* Due to the large number of submissions that we receive, we request that you read and adhere to the submission requirements below. For consideration in our 2023 new toy coverage, please submit using the following guidelines. Only products that are NEW FOR 2023 will be accepted.
Please send your new, 2023 product descriptions in a Word document attachment to James Zahn, email@example.com
PDFs and/or PowerPoints will not be considered. List the suggested age, MSRP, and availability (e.g. Spring 2023, Fall 2023) whenever possible. Please group your descriptions by category, and do not send more than three items per category.
You may submit using the following format:
PRODUCT NAME | AGE GRADE | MSRP $USD | AVAILABILITY DATE
(Street date, month, or season, i.e. Summer 2023, Holiday 2023)
Short description of your product.
Please note that there are some new, updated, and returning categories for 2023, and not all will appear in this issue.
- Action Figures (Updated): Traditional action figures and playsets for kids and collectors.
- Arts, Crafts, & Activities (Updated): Products geared toward keeping kids creative.
- Construction: Building sets and construction materials of all kinds.
- Collectibles: From kid-focused micro figures that come in waves to high-end action figures, licensed pop culture merch, and beyond for kids and kidults.
- Costumes & Roleplay (New for ’23): From everyday dress-up to superhero roleplay, Halloween, and cosplay.
- Dolls: Any toy that fits into the traditional doll category, including small dolls, baby dolls, fashion dolls, etc.
- Games & Puzzles: Traditional games and puzzles, card games, tabletop games, roleplaying games, 3D puzzles, and more.
- Impulse & Novelties (Updated): Cash register fodder, rack toys, and other pocket money items (including candy!) can be found here.
- Infant & Toddler (Updated): Baby toys and toddler fun — this showcase features juvenile brands.
- Made in USA (New for ’23): Toys and games that adhere to the official “Made in USA” designation.
- Outdoor & Active: Toys that kids can play with outside or get them moving, such as ride-ons and wheels (including bikes, scooters, skateboards), water toys, and outdoor games.
- Pets (New for ’23): Have pet products with a toyetic spin or a top license? This is the place to show them off.
- Plush: Traditional stuffed animals and plush in all sizes and variations.
- Preschool (Updated): Products geared toward the massive audience of kids ages 3-4
- STEM: Products that teach or embrace skills spanning science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Toy Adjacent (New for ’23): Products sold in a toy store that aren’t necessarily toys and games.
- Trading Cards (New for ’23): Both sports and non-sport trading cards (and accessories) are hot.
- Vehicles & R/C (Updated): Die-cast vehicles, radio-controlled vehicles, action figure-compatible vehicles, pull-back cars, construction vehicles, and more. If it has wheels, treads, flies, or floats, this the spot.
- What’s New: Our miscellaneous section for other items that don’t fit elsewhere, such as robotics, tech, and entertainment.
Prioritize your submissions in each category, listing your most important items at the top of each category list, and your most important category first. Please only include top-line talking points in the product description. Our space is limited, but we will try to cover as many of your products as possible.
Please include high-resolution 300 dpi images with transparent/no background as email attachments. If possible, include an image of every item for each category, and name your images so that it is clear which item it is.
Please do not send PDFs or PowerPoint presentations, and DO NOT embed images within documents.
*Please note that due to the large number of submissions that we receive, inclusion in The Toy Book is not guaranteed. The Toy Book editorial team, at its sole discretion, may approve or reject a submission for any reason. We reserve the right to categorize products, edit product descriptions for length, clarity, and adherence to AP and house style, and may limit the total number of products showcased for this no-cost editorial opportunity. We do not, for any reason, include legal symbols in editorial coverage.
Send your submission by Dec. 22. If you need an extension, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before Dec. 22.
EMBARGOES: Be assured that ALL EMBARGOED SUBMISSIONS for 2023 new toy coverage will remain confidential and will not be printed until The BIG Toy Book is officially released on February 28, 2023.
Want to get in on the action with future issues of The Toy Book? Check out our 2023 editorial calendar for details on what we’re cooking up for the year ahead.