Mortal Kombat 11, the latest entry in Warner Bros.’ long-running fighting franchise, held onto the top spot on the game charts for a second consecutive month, dethroning Kingdom Hearts III to become the best-selling video game of 2019 so far. The news comes courtesy of the NPD Group‘s May video game sales report, which highlights a relatively dismal month overall. With just a week on the charts, Sega’s Total War: Three Kingdoms was able to secure the No. 3 spot on this month’s top 20, with Bethesda Softworks’ Rage 2 the only other new release to crack the top five at No. 4.
In terms of overall software sales, this May’s $262 million was a 13% decrease from the same period last year, and the lowest sales in May since 2013 ($222 million). New releases were another low point, with total sales dollars in new releases coming in at their lowest number for a May month since 1998. Overall sales for the entire category including hardware, software, and accessories was down 11% from last year, with $641 million versus $717 million.
TOP 20 VIDEO GAME TITLES | MAY 2019 (ALL PLATFORMS)
- Mortal Kombat 11 | Warner Bros. Interactive
- Days Gone | Sony
- Total War: Three Kingdoms | Sega
- Rage 2 | Bethesda Softworks
- Grand Theft Auto V | Take 2 Interactive
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | Nintendo
- Red Dead Redemption II | Take 2 Interactive
- MLB 19: The Show | Sony
- Minecraft | Multi
- NBA 2K19 | Take 2 Interactive
- Mario Kart 8 | Nintendo
- Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 | Ubisoft
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 | Activision Blizzard
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe | Nintendo
- Marvel’s Spider-Man | Sony
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Nintendo
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege | Ubisoft
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey | Ubisoft
- Team Sonic Racing | Sega
- Yoshi’s Crafted World | Nintendo
Year-over-year overall sales for video games dropped another full percentage point, down 2% year-to-date, with a 17% drop in hardware sales offsetting modest gains in software (2%) and accessories (3%).